A printing company had purchased a self-contained printing press which was ventilated through the roof of the building. Fumes, which were heavier than air, accumulated at the base of the printing press. Our experts were able to establish that the machine malfunctioned, causing a spark to ignite the fumes, which caused an explosion and fire. Our client was working close to the printing press at the time of the explosion. He was burned over 80% of his body and was flown to a burn center. Our client’s injuries were devastating. He was hospitalized for months and required multiple surgeries.
Through our experts, we were able to establish liability not only against the manufacturer of the printing press but the designer of the ventilation system. Depositions were taken in Chicago, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
After depositions, the case was settled for a total guaranteed payment to our client, which exceeded $5 million.