A young woman suffering from a permanent brain injury lived for several years in a non-profit nursing home. Following her injury, she lost the ability to safely swallow food. The staff was ordered to only give her mechanically ground and softened food. She also required supervision during eating due to her impulsivity and lack of safety awareness.
One day at lunchtime the facility served her a smoked turkey sandwich while she was alone in her room. When staff looked in 15 minutes later she was blue, choking and grabbing at her throat. Despite getting forced oxygen and rapid first aid an ambulance driver she became unconscious. In the hospital attempts to remove the obstruction revealed large bites of the sandwich that had not been chewed. The case settled at jury selection for $800,000