A decorated Korean War veteran was hospitalized for long-term care in the Philadelphia Veteran’s Hospital due to combat-related mental illness. Although cigarettes were permitted in the facility, the staff was instructed to supervise his smoking after he began to burn his hands when attempting to light matches. One day, he was permitted to use the smoking lounge unsupervised and his clothing caught fire. He suffered second and third-degree burns over 80% of his body. He lingered for two weeks before dying at the St. Agnes Burn Center. The case was settled shortly after suit was filed against the United States Government. The government also waived all medical expenses.